SAFETY FIRST - COVID-19 PROTOCOLS
Markham School of Dance has designed a comprehensive plan following "Dance Safe Ontario" and provincial guidelines for opening our studio to in-person classes in September. For more information about Dance Safe please click here. MSD will be adhering to all of the guidelines and regulations set forth by the Government of Canada, the Government of Ontario and the City of Markham.
Your health & safety is our number one priority and we are committed to providing you with the safest environment possible.
We can't wait to dance with you!
Here is an overview of some of the policies listed in detail below. We ask that all parents read the following protocols in detail.
- Dancers and parents will view an instructional arrival video prior to attending their first day
- Disinfecting between classes
- Use of a disinfectant sprayer with cleaning solution supported by Health Canada DIN
- Use of Masks in all common areas
- Limited class sizes of 8-10
- More than required spacing between dancers
- Availability to attend in-person, online or on an alternating schedule
- Closure of all changing areas
- Closure of lobby and office area to guests and parents
- Temperature checks and hand sanitization and additional screening procedures
- Contact tracing and cohorting
- All registration for classes must be done in advance through the website or by calling the registration office at 905-943-9009 ext 2 between the hours of 1-6pm Monday to Friday and 10-2pm on Saturday.
- Dancewear sales will not be done in-person - please click on the following link to purchase dancewear and have it shipped to your home (link to follow shortly).
- High touch areas and hard surfaces will be disinfected in-between classes this includes barres, bins for personal belongings, door handles, light switches and more.
- Washrooms will be frequently sanitized throughout each day.
- Yoga Blocks, Therabands and other props will not be used to mitigate the spread of germs. Dancers registered in the classes requiring these items may be asked to bring in their own.
- The facility will undergo additional cleaning and disinfecting each evening.
- Students and parents are encouraged to wipe all items with sanitizer wipes e.g. shoes, water bottle, before & after coming to the studio. No Lost & Found at this time.
- We have purchased a top of the line disinfectant sprayer plus a broad spectrum , Health Canada registered DIN health care disinfectant, that is safe for humans and certified safe for the environment.
SCHEDULING and COHORTING
- The schedule has been adjusted to allow for cleaning and sanitization between classes. High touch areas and hard surfaces will be disinfected in-between classes: this includes barres, bins for personal belongings, door handles, light switches and more.
- There will be 8-10 students per class at this time * subject to change due to government regulations.
- For exam classes with more than 8-10 students registered they may be cohorted further into two groups where a hybrid class structure may be used - group A attends 1st week online and 2nd week in person and group B attends 1st week in person and 2nd week online.
- Students will be cohorted into class groups. Therefore students will not be exiting and entering every hour. Class schedules have been made so students can attend two to three classes per day with the same students in the same room. For example students can take ballet and tap on Wednesday and ballet and jazz on Saturday and will be with the same students. Therefore allowing cohorting and ease of contact tracing.
- At this time we will be running select classes in-person including dance intensive, arts combo, dance company and musical theatre. Other programs such as twinkle stars and show stars dance and acrobatics will be added at a later date.
DROP OFF / PICK UP
- Before leaving your home all parents must conduct a “Self-Assessment” for dancer and family.
Click Here for Self Assessment
If you selected Yes to any of the questions or if dancers or other family members are not feeling well please stay home. Where possible you can join us online.
- Poster can be found on our website. If dancers or other family members are not feeling well please stay home.
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes before the class and wait in your car. Important note: latecomers will not be accepted into class at this time. If you are going to be late please stay home and participate in an online class instead.
- Screening 5 -10 minutes before the class: teachers will start screening procedures at the front door. Please line up on the socially distanced markers at the right side of the front door and wait for screening.
- Temperatures will be taken at the door plus all dancers will sanitize their hands upon entry.
- Teachers will have procedures for sign in and out for contact tracing purposes.
- Hand Sanitizer must be used upon entering and exiting the facility.
- Only Dancers and Faculty are permitted inside the studio and a mask MUST be worn to enter our facility.
- Arrive "Dance Ready" with hair done, in dance attire with your dance bag in hand to keep personal belongings in.
- We ask students to use the washroom facility at home before arriving at the studio so we can quickly, smoothly and safely transition directly into the classroom.
- Upon entering the facility, students will be guided to follow the social distancing markers on the floor when enter into the classroom so that there is a smooth directional flow and social distancing.
- Students will be provided with a bin to store their items. These will be brought into and stored in the classroom. Please only bring what is absolutely necessary for the classes that day. Once used these will be sanitized.
- Parents please be on time to drop off/pick up your child outside our facility door. Please be patient, understanding and respectful as we safely transition classes and sign in/out students. Please follow the marked social distancing lines put in place by our property management.
- Classes may conclude 5-10 minutes early if required to allow for a smooth transition of classes and disinfecting of each classroom including the studio floor.
- Limited class sizes and in accordance to the regulations put forth by our municipality to respect and follow physical distancing regulations.
- Lobby will be closed to all parents and spectators.
- Coat Room/Change Room is temporarily closed to all dancers.
- Personal belongings are to be placed in a bin inside the classroom. We ask that you only bring with you what is required for dancing that day. Bins will be disinfected after each personal use.
- Socially distanced dance squares: dance floors will have clearly marked 6x6 dance squares for each individual dancer to dance in for the duration of their class. Older dancers who can safely practice social distancing may dance technical elements across the floor (ex. turns, jumps).
- Ballet Barres will be marked to ensure physical distancing at the barre, and will be frequently wiped down/disinfected.
- Masks inside the classroom:
- Dancers may not remove their masks while dancing at this time.
- In the future masks may be removed when dancing in their classroom only, pending government regulations, but they must arrive with a mask on in order to be permitted into the facility and wear it at all times outside of their specified classroom/socially distanced square.
- Please ensure your dancer knows the proper procedure for putting on/removing a mask.
- It is suggested that masks be kept in a labelled paper bag (not Ziploc) in their bin when not in use.
- Masks outside of the classroom:
- Masks must be worn at all times outside of the classroom in the lobby and washroom areas.
- Hand Sanitizer will be stationed in our classrooms and in the front lobby and will be frequently used.
- No Physical Contact: Teachers will not be providing any hands-on corrections or spotting at this time. Students will not have any partner work or contact with each other such as hand holding or lifts.
- If a dancer or staff feels sick at the studio - they will be isolated immediately, parents will be notified and will be asked to go home.
- Contact Tracing will be in place and parents will be notified of any issues.
- Continuing Online: If at any time the studio feels it necessary to continue the class online for the safety of the students and staff we will notify parents.
REGISTRATION AND DANCEWEAR
- Registration and dancewear will be sold remotely as our main lobby and office are closed.
- Limited class spaces are available so please be sure to register in advance at a minimum of 7 days before your first day to ensure you have a spot, allow time for the registration to be finalized and notify the teachers.
- All students participating in the in-person classes must attend an online orientation prior to their first day.
- Orientations will be scheduled on Friday evenings
- If you need assistance with registration please contact Ms. Sally at 905-943-9009 ext 2
- If you need assistance with dancewear please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can reach Ms. Sally at the remote main office by phone at 905-943-9009 ext 2
- Monday to Friday from 1-6pm
- Saturday from 10am-2pm
- All registration will be billed monthly. If we are required to close our doors again we will seemlessly move to online classes and adjust the monthly billing as necessary.
Policies and procedures will be updated as necessary and as more information becomes available from the government.