SAFETY FIRST - COVID-19 PROTOCOLS
Markham School of Dance has designed a comprehensive plan following the municipal and provincial guidelines for opening our studio to in-person classes in September. MSD is adhering to the guidelines and regulations set forth by the Government of Canada, the Government of Ontario and York Region Public Health.
Your health & safety is our number one priority and we are committed to providing you with the safest environment possible. Please note these protocols may change at any time. Please check back for updated information.
We can't wait to dance with you!
*important update: effective February 15th all students will be required to show a confirmation of an active screening when they arrive at the studio.
This can be done on a cell phone at the following link - https://covid-19.ontario.ca/screening/customer/
The studio safety plan is also available for you to view at this link - MSD Safety Plan
Regardless of the removing of restrictions we will be continuing to follow the protocols throughout the remainder of this dance season.
*important update: effective October 1st all students ages 12 and over must show proof of vaccine to participate in dance classes as per the regulations introduced by York Region dated Sept 28, 2021.
Here is an overview of some of the policies listed in detail below. Please note that these regulations may change during the course of the season depending on government requirements. We ask that all parents read the following protocols in detail.
- Dancers and parents will view an instructional arrival video prior to attending their first day
- Sanitization between classes
- Use of Masks while in classes and in all common areas
- Limited class sizes of 6-9 students for all classes under age 12.
- Social Distancing
- Availability to attend in-person or online
- Closure of all changing areas
- Closure of lobby and office area to guests and parents
- Hand sanitization and additional screening procedures
- Contact tracing and cohorting
- All registration for classes must be done in advance through the website or by texting/calling the registration office at 647-905-8267 between the hours of 1-5pm Monday to Friday and 10-2pm on Saturday.
- Dancewear sales will not be done in-person - all dancewear is included in the fees and will be purchased for you and brought to the studio for pick up.
- High touch areas and hard surfaces will be disinfected in-between classes this includes barres, bins for personal belongings.
- Washrooms will be sanitized each day.
- Yoga Blocks, Therabands and other props will not be shared or used at this time.
- The facility will undergo additional daily cleaning and disinfecting.
- Students and parents are encouraged to wipe all items with sanitizer wipes e.g. shoes, water bottle, before & after coming to the studio. No Lost & Found at this time.
- The studio will be cleaned and sanitized daily.
- HEPA filtered air purifiers are used in each studio.
SCHEDULING and COHORTING
- The schedule has been adjusted to allow for cleaning and sanitization between classes. High touch areas and hard surfaces will be disinfected in-between classes: this includes barres, bins for personal belongings, door handles, light switches and acrobatic mats.
- There will be 6-10 students per class - subject to change due to government regulations.
- Students will be cohorted into class groups. Some schedules have been made so students can attend two to three classes per day with the same students in the same room. Therefore allowing cohorting and ease of contact tracing.
DROP OFF / PICK UP
- Before leaving your home all parents must conduct a “Self-Assessment” for dancer and family.
- If dancers or other family members are not feeling well please stay home.
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the class and wait in your car. Important note: latecomers will not be accepted into class at this time. If you are going to be late please stay home and participate in an online class instead.
- Screening 5 minutes before the class: teachers will start screening procedures at the front door. Please line up on the socially distanced markers at the right side of the front door and wait for screening.
- Each parent must show the confirmation of completing the active screening link upon arrival.
- Temperatures may be taken at the door plus all dancers will sanitize their hands upon entry.
- Teachers will have procedures for sign in and out for contact tracing purposes.
- Hand Sanitizer must be used upon entering and exiting the facility.
- Only Dancers and Faculty are permitted inside the studio and a mask MUST be worn upon entering our facility and for the duration of your time in the facility.
- Arrive "Dance Ready" with hair done, in dance attire with your dance bag in hand to keep personal belongings in.
- We ask students to use the washroom facility at home before arriving at the studio so we can quickly transition directly into the classroom where possible.
- Upon entering the facility, students will be guided to follow the social distancing markers on the floor when enter into the classroom so that there is a smooth directional flow and social distancing.
- Students will be provided with a bin to store their items. These will be brought into and stored in the classroom. Please only bring what is absolutely necessary for the classes that day. Once used these will be sanitized.
- Parents please be on time to drop off/pick up your child outside our facility door. Please be patient, understanding and respectful as we safely transition classes and sign in/out students. Please follow the marked social distancing lines put in place by our property management.
- Limited class sizes and in accordance to the regulations put forth by our municipality to respect and follow physical distancing regulations.
- Lobby will be closed to all parents and spectators.
- Coat Room/Change Room is temporarily closed to all dancers.
- Personal belongings are to be placed in a bin inside the classroom. We ask that you only bring with you what is required for dancing that day. Bins will be disinfected after each use.
- Socially distanced: dance floors will have clearly marked dance squares for each individual dancer to dance in. Older dancers who can safely practice social distancing may dance technical elements across the floor (ex. turns, jumps). Dancers will be socially distanced whenever possible during their class.
- Ballet Barres will be marked to ensure physical distancing at the barre, and will be frequently wiped down/disinfected.
- Use of Masks:
- Dancers and teachers will wear masks while dancing at this time.
- Masks must be worn at all times outside of the classroom in the lobby and washroom areas.
- Hand Sanitizer will be stationed in our classrooms and in the front lobby and will be frequently used.
- Physical Contact: Teachers will not be providing any hands-on corrections with the exception of spotting for safety in the acrobatics classes. Students will not have any partner work and will limit physical contact with each other.
- If a dancer or staff feels sick at the studio - they will be isolated immediately, parents will be notified and they will be asked to go home.
- Contact Tracing will be in place and parents will be notified of any issues
- Continuing Online: If at any time the studio feels it necessary to continue the class online for the safety of the students and staff we will notify parents run the classes online.
REGISTRATION AND DANCEWEAR
- Registration and dancewear will be sold remotely as our main lobby and office are closed. Dancewear is included in the class fees and will be available to you at the beginning of the season. Please note that it may take a few weeks to order in the necessary items. Please plan to wear a t-shirt and track pants, or leggings until your outfit is available.
- Limited class spaces are available so please be sure to register in advance before your first day to ensure you have a spot, allow time for the registration to be finalized and notify the teachers.
- All students participating in the in-studio classes must watch an orientation video prior to their first day.
- If you need assistance with registration please contact 905-943-9009 ext 3
- If you need assistance with dancewear please e-mail us at email@example.com
- You can reach the main office by phone at 905-943-9009 ext 3 our office is working remotely and is available 7 days per week. You can also text 647-905-8267
- All registration will be billed monthly.
- If we are required to close our doors again we will seamlessly move to online classes.
Policies and procedures will be updated as necessary and as more information becomes available from the government.